Pack in Striking Position Heading into Tuesday

RALEIGH – Action kicked off at Lonnie Poole golf course at 8:30am Monday morning for the Wolfpack Intercollegiate golf tournament. North Carolina State and the University of Chapel Hill are tied for first with a score of 280 (16-under- par) after the 36 holes; Campbell is in third place followed by Loyla (MD.). The Pack were led by Stephen Franklin who shot a 66 in his first round and followed up with a 65 in his second round leads the field.

Nolan Mills tied for 12th in the tournament posted the second best score for the Wolfpack with two rounds of 71. Mills, who is a junior, battled his way through the first round, having to come up with multiple wedge shots to save par on a few holes. Back to back bogies on 11 and 12 hampered Mills from putting up a lower number on the leader board. A birdie on the first hole got Mills confidence going into his second round. Putting became Mills weakness heading into the back nine.

Missing a par putt on 10 and then later 3 putted on the 14th hole. His putting struggles continued on 15 when Mills lipped out a birdie putt. Mills then stuck his wedge shot of 150 yards inches from the pin on 17. He would finish his round like his first with a 71, 1 under par. Speaking with the Pack golfer Mills focused on his missed putts “I threw away a few good shots in my second round that could have put me higher up on the leader board. I confidence in my second round and I feel like I put myself in position for tomorrow with a combined 2 under score.

Harrison Rhoades, a junior transfer from Georgetown, shot a 71 and a 73. Competing as an individual, he is tied with fellow teammate Justin Hood sitting 13 strokes behind Stephen Franklin who shot a combined 131. Rhoades is very pleased with his team’s performance Monday and is excited for the team tomorrow “We played solid and have given ourselves a great opportunity to win tomorrow.” Lonnie Poole, which is the Wolfpack’s home course gave the Pack golfer a home field advantage.

“It is definitely an advantage for us playing at our home course. We know the course better than anyone else and all of us have played it well before which gives us confidence” Rhoades said after the match.

Tied with rival UNC, the Pack looks to get off to an early led tomorrow in the final day of the tournament. NC State will be leaning on another strong performance from Stephen Core and Nolan Mills to win the Wolf Pack Intercollegiate tournament on their home turf.